Entertainment22 May 2019
- Netflix today announced it will produce a live action family movie, Hello, Universe, based on the 2018 Newbery Award winning, New York Times bestselling novel of the same name by Erin Entrada Kelly.
- Playwright and screenwriter Michael Golamco (Always Be My Maybe) will adapt the book and Forest Whitaker and Nina Yang Bongiovi (Fruitvale Station, Roxanne Roxanne) of Significant Productions will produce.
- Logline: When a bully’s antics land a timid boy in the bottom of a well, his self-proclaimed psychic friend and unknowing crush team up to find him.
- Newbery Medalist Erin Entrada Kelly’s Hello, Universe is a funny and poignant neighborhood story about unexpected friendships. Told from four intertwining points of view — two boys and two girls — the novel celebrates bravery, being different, and finding your inner bayani (hero). It is published by Greenwillow Books, an imprint of HarperCollins Children’s Books.
- Hello, Universe joins Netflix’s growing slate of live action movies featuring kids and teens and made for families, which includes the upcoming comedy Tall Girl, directed by Nzingha Stewart (Grey’s Anatomy, A Million Little Things), written by Sam Wolfson (Andi Mack, Finding Carter), and produced by Wonderland’s McG, Mary Viola, and Corey Marsh. Also on the movie slate is A Babysitter’s Guide to Monster Hunting, directed by Rachel Talalay (Netflix’s Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Riverdale) and based on author Joe Ballarini’s novel of the same name.
- Press Asset (Please download only) Hello, Universe book cover