Entertainment22 January 2019
- Netflix will exclusively launch American Son, based on the 2018 play from playwright Christopher Demos-Brown. The story centers on interracial parents who reunite in a Florida police station to search for answers about their missing teenage son.
- Award-winning cast Kerry Washington, Steven Pasquale, Jeremy Jordan and Eugene Lee will reprise their roles in the Netflix production.
- Tony award winner Kenny Leon returns to direct and produce, with Jeffrey Richards and Rebecca Gold serving as producers. Washington and her EVP Development and Production Pilar Savone will also produce under Washington’s banner Simpson Street.
- “American Son powerfully explores themes of family, love and identity,” said Cindy Holland, Vice President of Original Content. “We are honored to work with Kerry Washington, Kenny Leon, Christopher Demos-Brown and the entire cast to bring this story from the Broadway stage to our members around the world.”
- Production begins in New York City this February.