Entertainment09 May 2019
- Netflix has closed a first look deal with Dark Horse Entertainment. Under the new deal, Dark Horse Entertainment will give Netflix a first look at its IP for both film and TV and has started exploring future projects. Dark Horse Entertainment’s Mike Richardson, Keith Goldberg and Paul Schwake signed on to produce.
- Netflix and Dark Horse have previously collaborated on the action-comedy series The Umbrella Academy, which was recently renewed for a second season, as well as Jonas Åkerlund’s feature film Polar.
- “We are very excited about this new arrangement with the talented people at Netflix," said Mike Richardson, Dark Horse Entertainment’s President and Founder. “We have strong creative relationships as well as a large content library to work with and, as we have seen with our recent projects, Netflix is the perfect partner to bring our stories to fans around the world.”
- "With The Umbrella Academy and Polar, Netflix has pushed our content out into the world and allowed it to spread in a way that we’ve never experienced before, and we couldn’t be more excited to bring a whole new slate of movies and shows to their world-wide audience,” said Keith Goldberg, Senior Vice President, Dark Horse Entertainment.
- “Following the success of The Umbrella Academy, we’re excited to extend our relationship with Dark Horse Comics,” said Cindy Holland, Vice President, Original Content for Netflix. “The Netflix teams are already working in deep collaboration with Dark Horse to identify projects beyond the world of traditional superheroes -- branching into horror, fantasy and family entertainment -- that we think our members will love.”
About Dark Horse Entertainment
Founded by Mike Richardson, Dark Horse Entertainment was spun off from his publishing company, Dark Horse Comics, in 1992. The company’s first major hits—THE MASK and TIMECOP — were based on Richardson’s creations and DHE has since produced over 30 films and series, including an Emmy Award-winning documentary, MR. WARMTH: THE DON RICKLES PROJECT. Recent projects include the DARK MATTER television series for Syfy network, and the hit Netflix film, POLAR, adapted from Victor Santo’s noir graphic novel starring Mads Mikkelsen. Current projects include the second season of THE UMBRELLA ACADEMY, a Netflix original series based on the comics created by Gerard Way (My Chemical Romance) and Gabriel Bá, and RESIDENT ALIEN, a television series for Syfy starring Alan Tudyk (Firefly) based on the comic series by Peter Hogan and Steve Parkhouse.
Netflix is the world's leading internet entertainment service with over 148 million paid memberships in over 190 countries enjoying TV series, documentaries and feature films across a wide variety of genres and languages. Members can watch as much as they want, anytime, anywhere, on any internet-connected screen. Members can play, pause and resume watching, all without commercials or commitments.