Entertainment09 October 2018
In addition to Wild District, Always a Witch and Green Frontier, three new titles were confirmed today for 2019 - Historia de un crimen: Colmenares and two new stand-up comedy specials
These titles join a slate of more than 70 original productions being filmed across Latin America. Netflix also confirmed a second and third season of The House of Flowers, the launch date for Nicky Jam: El Ganador, plus season two of La Reina del Sur
View the Colombia to the world video HERE
Download photos from the #QHuboNetflix press conference HERE
Download B-Roll from the #QHuboNetflix event HERE
Photo credit: Daniel Muñoz y Gabriel Aponte/Netflix
Video credit: Juan Carlos Barbero y Miguel Ángel Pérez/Netflix
Bogotá, CO - October 9, 2018 - Netflix announced today a growing slate of original Colombian productions and a continued commitment to produce in the market. With the goal of having diverse, global content available on the service to suit the tastes of its members, Netflix increasingly features local content alongside Hollywood and international productions to connect with audiences around the world.
Six original titles from Colombia are set to premiere throughout this and next year, among them the newly-announced second installment of the crime anthology Historia de un crimen - this new season profiling the case of Luis Andrés Colmenares - plus two new local stand-up comedy specials with Liss Pereira and Ricardo Quevedo. These titles make up the larger slate of Colombian content arriving to the service, joining the previously-announced action-filled drama Wild District starring Juan Pablo Raba, young adult fantasy Always a Witch and crime thriller Green Frontier produced by Dynamo and Ciro Guerra.
“Netflix is humbled and proud to give a voice to local talent and creators, helping them to not only reach Colombian viewers , but also to connect people all around the world to their unique stories,” said Reed Hastings, CEO of Netflix. “By expanding our content across genres, we’re diversifying our offering and giving more choices to members via an ever-evolving platform that transcends borders. We’re excited to continue investing and exploring in the country.”
Since launching in Colombia in 2011, Netflix has worked with notable local creators - whether through licensing deals, co-productions or originals - to bring their stories to life for over 130 million members worldwide. In addition to serving as a platform for Colombian talent to shine, Netflix has also invested in the market through the filming of various productions, both local and international, that have taken place throughout the country: from cosmopolitan cities like Bogotá and Caribbean landmarks like Cartagena, to Leticia in the Amazon and the vast mountains of La Macarena. This includes the upcoming bio-series Nicky Jam: El Ganador, J.C. Chandor’s newest film tentatively titled Triple Frontier, plus season two of the Mexican original series Ingobernable, among others. Over 35,000 locals have been hired as cast, crew and extras in these local productions over the years.
These titles join a larger slate of the more than 70* original productions being filmed across Latin America, among them The House of Flowers, Club of Crows, Narcos, Monarca, Puerta 7, Vai Anitta and The Mechanism. Netflix productions have increased nearly five times since local productions began filming in the region in 2015.
More details about what Netflix announced today:
- Three new original productions from Colombia premiering in 2019:
- Liss Pereira stand-up comedy special - in this new stand-up, filmed while she was seven months pregnant, Pereira tackles the struggles of womanhood and pregnancy leading up to motherhood.
- Ricardo Quevedo stand-up comedy special - this will be Quevedo’s second comedy special with Netflix, his first having premiered in January 2018 with great success.
- Netflix also announced:
- The House of Flowers(Mexican original) - seasons 2 and 3 confirmed. Watch the The House of Flowers renewal announcementHERE
- Nicky Jam: El Ganador(filmed in Colombia, Mexico and Puerto Rico) - global launch date of November 30th (excluding the U.S.) Watch the date announcement for Nicky Jam: El Ganador HERE
- Green Frontier(Colombian original) - previously announced as untitled, the project with acclaimed showrunner Ciro Guerra named the two Colombian directors working on the production, Laura Mora and Jacques Toulemonde; along with the cast, which includes Juana del Rio, Nelson Camayo, Angela Cano and Miguel Ramos, among others.
- La Reina del Sur (co-production with Telemundo Global Studios** filmed in 7 countries, among them Colombia) - season 2 announcement
*Total number refers to current and future projects set to launch from now through 2019, including branded licensed and original productions.
**Netflix has the exclusive rights worldwide, excluding the U.S. and Puerto Rico, while Telemundo has the exclusive rights in the U.S. and Puerto Rico.
# # #
Netflix is the world's leading internet entertainment service with 130 million memberships in over 190 countries enjoying TV series, documentaries and feature films across a wide variety of genres and languages. Members can watch as much as they want, anytime, anywhere, on any internet-connected screen. Members can play, pause and resume watching, all without commercials or commitments.